Eyes are often referred to as the windows to the soul, and enhancing them with eyelash extensions has become a popular beauty trend. Eyelash extensions are a semi-permanent solution to achieving longer, fuller, and more voluminous lashes without the need for mascara or falsies.
Achieving the ideal eyelash extension look requires proper application and maintenance to ensure that your lashes look flawless and natural. In this blog, we will explore the key steps to achieving the ideal eyelash extension look from selecting the right eyelash technician to proper aftercare.
Choosing the Right Eyelash Technician
The first and most crucial step in achieving the ideal eyelash extension look is selecting the right eyelash technician. It’s essential to do thorough research and choose a reputable and experienced technician who has proper training and certifications. Look for reviews, recommendations and before-and-after photos to assess the technician’s skill level and expertise.
A qualified lash tech classes will understand the different types of eyelash extensions, such as classic, hybrid or volume lashes and will be able to recommend the best type of lashes that suit your natural lashes and desired look. Remember the quality of the eyelash extensions and the application process greatly impact the final result so choose your technician wisely.
Prepping Your Natural Lashes
Before applying the eyelash extensions, it’s crucial to prep your natural lashes to ensure a seamless application. Start by removing all eye makeup, including mascara and eyeliner, using an oil-free cleanser.
Avoid using any oil-based products on your lashes as they can interfere with the adhesive and cause the eyelash extensions to fall off prematurely. Additionally, make sure your lashes are clean and dry and do not use any curling or perming tools on your natural lashes before the appointment, as this can affect the adhesive bond.
Selecting the Right Eyelash Extensions
The type of eyelash extensions you choose plays a significant role in achieving the ideal eyelash extension look. There are different types of eyelash extensions available, including synthetic, silk, and mink lashes, each with its unique characteristics. Synthetic lashes are made from man-made materials and are the most affordable option while silk lashes are softer and have a more natural look.
Mink lashes, on the other hand are made from real mink fur and are the most premium and expensive option known for their lightweight and natural appearance. When selecting the right eyelash extensions, consider your natural lashes, eye shape and desired look to achieve the best results.
Ensuring Proper Application
Proper application is crucial to achieving the ideal eyelash extension look. Your technician should apply each eyelash extension individually, isolating one natural lash and attaching one eyelash extension using a specially formulated adhesive. The eyelash extensions should be applied in a way that follows the natural growth pattern of your lashes, creating a seamless and natural look.
The length, thickness, and curl of the eyelash extensions should also be chosen carefully to achieve your desired look without causing any discomfort or damage to your natural lashes. A skilled technician will take the time to customize the eyelash extensions to suit your individual features and create a stunning result.
Maintaining Your Eyelash Extensions
- Proper aftercare is essential to maintaining your eyelash extensions and achieving the ideal eyelash extension look. Here are some key tips for maintaining your eyelash extensions:
- Avoid getting your lashes wet for the first 24-48 hours after the application to allow the adhesive to fully cure.
- Avoid using oil-based products, including makeup removers and cleansers, on your lashes, as they can weaken the adhesive bond.
- Be gentle when washing your face and avoid rubbing your eyes, as excessive friction can cause the eyelash extensions to fall off.
- Avoid using mascara on your eyelash extensions, as it can clump and damage the lashes. If you feel the need to enhance your lashes further, opt for a mascara specifically formulated for eyelash extensions or use a lash sealant to protect and prolong their lifespan.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach or with your face pressed against the pillow, as it can cause your eyelash extensions to become misaligned or fall off.
- Avoid using eyelash curlers on your eyelash extensions, as they can damage both the extensions and your natural lashes.
- Schedule regular touch-up appointments with your eyelash technician to maintain the fullness and longevity of your eyelash extensions. Touch-ups are typically required every 2-3 weeks, as your natural lashes shed and new lashes grow.
- Be mindful of your activities and avoid rubbing your eyes vigorously, swimming in chlorinated water, or exposing your eyelash extensions to excessive heat, steam, or oil.
Following these aftercare tips diligently will help you extend the lifespan of your eyelash extensions and maintain their flawless appearance, giving you the ideal eyelash extension look for longer.
Enhancing Your Eyelash Extension Look
While the eyelash extensions alone can give you a stunning look, there are additional ways to enhance your overall eyelash extension look.
- Eyeliner: Applying eyeliner along the lash line can further define and accentuate your eyelash extensions. Opt for a liquid or gel eyeliner and apply it thinly along the base of your lashes for a subtle yet impactful look.
- Eyeshadow: Experimenting with eyeshadow can complement your eyelash extensions and make your eyes pop. Choose eyeshadow colors that complement your eye color and apply them with a light hand to avoid overwhelming your lashes.
- Lash Serum: Using a lash serum can promote the growth and health of your natural lashes, creating a strong foundation for your eyelash extensions. Look for serums that are formulated to be safe for use with eyelash extensions and apply them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Proper Makeup Removal: When removing your makeup be gentle and avoid rubbing your eyes vigorously. Use a gentle oil-free cleanser and a soft cotton pad or swab to carefully remove makeup without tugging or pulling on your eyelash extensions.
- Lifestyle Changes: Adopting a healthy lifestyle can also contribute to the overall health and appearance of your eyelash extensions. Eating a balanced diet, staying hydrated, and getting enough sleep can all promote lash health and help your eyelash extensions look their best.